Thursday, March 22, 2012

Weights, Soreness and a New Routine


I mentioned earlier this week that it was the WEEK of NEW ROUTINES. Well, in addition to my new cleaning routine, I’ve also {deep breath} joined a gym! Planet Fitness. It works great for me because it’s less than 5 minutes from my house, only $10 a month, there’s no contract (just in case), its brand new, open 24/7 and I really like the atmosphere. If you’d like to check out Planet Fitness for yourself, check it out here

And the best part is I get to go with my good friend Ashley. We are both mamas of babies who both want a good workout. So we are keeping each other accountable. Right now, our schedule is 3 days a week (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday) from 7-7:50 so we can be home by 8 am (when babies wake up and/or husbands go to work).  

My husband also joined Planet Fitness. We are both pretty pumped about the price, the fact we can go anytime we want and we didn’t have to sign any contracts.

The target areas I want to work on are my arms, legs and strengthening my core. Also, I really should be able to do cardio without feeling like I’m gonna fall over, faint or die.

Until today, Ashley and I really hadn't thought through what days we would do weights and what days we would do cardio. But here is what we did this week:
  • Tuesday: Cardio then weights focusing on abs, arms and legs.
  • Wednesday: We did the “Planet Fitness 30 Minute Circuit Workout” (basically it’s a 30 minute FULL BODY workout). Then we finished up with some cardio on  the bike.
  • Thursday: All cardio. Treadmill, Elliptical, Bike.

It’s now Thursday evening and the results from this week’s 7 am trips to Planet Fitness are in. The phrase "you live and you learn" rings true for us. After back to back days of weights and not really stretching before and after our workouts, we realize we don't want to do that again. YIKES!  But first of all, I want to mention that I've noticed an increased level of energy this week! {YAY} However, I also have sore shoulders, very sore abs and a pulled calf muscle that hurts like the dickens! Needless to say, we've changed our plan of attack for next week:
  • Tuesdays & Thursdays: 30 Minute Circuit Workout and some cardio.
  • Wednesdays: All cardio.

I really do love working out again and I feel great, despite the slight limp from my pulled calf muscle. Note to self:

Stretching + workout + more stretching = less pain in the long run


2 comments:

  1. Dontstretch before-you'll risk injury... Do a 5 to10 min cardio warmup instead. Drink lotta water after for recovery... You didn't ask. It that's some of my experienced knowledge! -Keri

    ReplyDelete