Saturday, April 21, 2012

DIY Laundry Detergent


Ok so I've been testing a new detergent that, get this, I MADE!

We've been using the new detergent for almost two months and we really like it! The recipe comes from Sew Much Ado. Her tutorial is so easy, I just had to share!

You will need:
1 Fels-Naptha bar of soap
1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda
1/4 cup Baking Soda
*All of these items are found in the laundry isle next to the laundry detergents

Directions:

1. Grate the Fels-Naptha bar soap finely.  I used my mom's Pampered Chef electric grater (which is AWESOME). Then I put the shredded soap into my Magic Bullet to finish it off but I guess a food processer would work just as good. Coarsely grated, this will equal about 2 cups. Finely grated measures less, of course.

2. Add 1 cup Borax.

3. Add 1 cup washing soda.

4. Add 1/4 cup baking soda.

5. Stir well.

6. You should have a nice powdered mixture.

7. Place in an airtight container.  Use 2 tablespoons per regular load of laundry. 

That's it. Pretty easy. 

If you try this recipe and like it, you can double or even triple the ingredients the next time you make it to get a larger batch. I like to make 3-4 batches at a time. And it lasts quite a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment